Youth Firearm Education Course
This course covers the following basic fundamentals:
Proper Safety Techniques
- Safety techniques
- Frequent causes of accidents among children, and how to avoid them.
- The similarities and differences of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
- Proper cleaning and maintenance of a rifles and handguns.
- Ammunition size, brands and function.
- Loading and unloading a firearm.
- Basic ammo knowledge (anatomy, firing mechanics, disposal, etc.)
- Proper Shooting Technique (aim, grip, sight alignment, etc.)
- Common misfires and how to approach them.
- Proper storage techniques and what to do if encountering a gun without a parent present, and with friends.
- Rules surrounding consequences if negligent with a firearm.
- Guided, supervised practice shooting at the range with .22 handguns and/or rifles at fun targets in a safe setting.
- Fake replica guns are used in the classroom. If you own a gun the child wishes to learn with, feel free to bring it for the range portion (.22 caliber rifles and handguns recommended)
- You will need to purchase 100 rounds of .22 ammo if participating in the range portion or the ammo of your child's firearm(s). Ammo is available for purchase or you may purchase your own.
All students must have parental consent. A waiver will be filled out the day of class or can be emailed to a parent by contacting us directly.
Classroom time averages 11/2 to 2 hours, range time varies between 1-2 hours dependent upon how well students grasp the information, questions, and student attendance.
This class takes place at Dragonman's Shooting Range. A description of what to bring, where to go, and location directions are included in your confirmation receipt.